Ketones are a reality that all children and teens living with diabetes need to face, hopefully not too often.
The number one reason ketones occur is due to a lack of insulin. This may be due to a number of reasons:
- Did you skip your injection?
- Could your insulin pen have been in the sun or gotten too cold?
- Are there bubbles in your insulin pen meaning that you injected air instead of insulin?
- Are you using the same injection site too often so that the insulin was not absorbed?
- For pump users: could your cannula site be blocked?
- Or perhaps are you sick?
But don’t panic, ketones can often easily be treated at home. Download the YWD Guide to treating ketones at home to see how.