Educational weekend camps:
Hosted 5 camps for 168 children (including a camp in Nelspruit in collaboration with the Mpumalanga Department of Health).
Youth leader training:
Sixteen Youth Leaders attended the YWD leadership camp at Camp Nelu (21-24 September 2018).
Offered teacher training at 3 schools: Dyk Park Pre-Primary school (teachers and children); Boskop Primary School, Randburg (teachers); Transvalia School for Epileptics, (teachers and nursing staff).
- Family day and fundraising Fun Run at the Johannesburg Zoo (17 June 2018)
- Hosted a stand at the Annual Forum of Cardiovascular Diabetes Education (CDE) at Birchwood Hotel and Conference Centre (3-5 August 2018). The theme for our stand year was “Targeting Blood Glucose” to emphasise the multiple factors that influence diabetes control, not only medication and dietary compliance.
- World Diabetes Day awareness
- Launched a successful virtual campaign: Reached 7200 people
- Attended a diabetes open day hosted by the practice of Dr Adri Kok (10 November 2018).
- Attended a diabetes open/health day at The Sunward Park Hospital (20th October 2018).
These awareness days mainly focussed on the work of Youth With Diabetes and showed the community that diabetes education can be fun and creative.
- Media coverage:
- SABC interview with the chairperson and members of Youth With Diabetes https://youtu.be/1EGTFjWmYmA
- YWD Editorials in the Diabetes Lifestyle by Eileen Pringle: Suicide & Family Support
- Youth with diabetes does the “D” word